Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Day Mummy got Discharged...

1st Aug 08: It was The Day! The day that I could bring my Darling home.

The evening before, the gynae came to check on me and I requested to be discharged the next day. She gave the green light and both me and Alvin were so excited. We informed the nursery as well, so that they could arrange for my baby's discharge.

Every morning, the doctors do their rounds in the nursery at around 9 plus 10am. On this particular day, all of them seemed to have disappeared. It was almost 11am and I was to be discharged and there were still no signs of the doctors doing their rounds! Alvin went to settle the outstanding payment for my hospital stay while I waited impatiently in the room for the discharge of my baby.

At long last, a paediatrician came into the room. My baby can finally be discharged. “We cannot discharge your baby today,” she said, “the result of her Thyroid function test from the cord blood is above the limit. We have just done another test using her blood but the result will only be back earliest in the evening or by tomorrow. We need to keep her in the hospital until the results come back.” After which, the doctor left the room.

I was shattered! My discharge has already been settled else I can stay overnight and still be with her. Now, I'll be going home without my baby. OMG! The very thought of her not going home with me sent tears running down. When the nurse wheeled Isabelle in, the sight of her made the tears gush down even more. I was heartbroken and could not stop crying.

Even as I got changed and walked out of the hospital with a super heavy heart, tears continued to trickle down. This was even more painful than any of the physical pain I had to endure over the past few days.

Upon reaching home, the sight of the empty cot also sent tears running down again. I could not even bring myself to tell my mom that my baby was still in the hospital. I had to get Alvin to pass the message to her.

In the evening, we called up the hospital to check on the results of her blood test. Unfortunately, they were not ready yet and we had to wait till the next day for the results and the doctor's evaluation. Again, tears started streaming down, knowing that she would be spending the night alone in the hospital without Mummy and Daddy.

Sigh... I was starting to understand how tough motherhood actually is...

* The thyroid function test from the cord blood was not a good gauge as it contained my blood and I have thyroid problems. So they had to do another test using her own blood. *

Sleeping soundly without Mummy & Daddy

No comments: