Monday, August 25, 2008

Mummy's Confinement Tonic

The confinement month was a very "trying" month for me. I had to be careful with what I eat. But worst of all, I had to eat things that I didn't like to eat - Liver and Kidney. To force myself to eat it, i cut up the livers and kidneys into small cubes of about 5mm x 5mm. Then I would mix it into the rice, together with vegetables, other meats and most importantly, GRAVY. I almost always end up swallowing instead of chewing... Lastly, fish bone soup. That is the most "exciting" food for me. As Isabelle has jaundice, I was advised not to take ginger, so it was fish soup without ginger. My GOD! The fishy taste is beyond description...

Then there were the TONNES of the typical gift - Chicken Essence. I received so many boxes of chicken essence that I could almost start selling them. Fortunately, the taste of room temperature chicken essence is still bearable. Since it's suppose to be good for my body and help me recover faster, I religiously drank it every day. Also, it was supposed to improve lactation (No wonder I'm a cow...). On top of that, I received many many DOMs. Total collection - 4 Big bottles, 1 small bottle.... It's probably going to take me YEARS to finish.... (Hmmm, I wonder who's giving birth next. The presents are already ready... hehe)

On the bright side, I also get to enjoy specially prepared, for confinement only, homemade salted chicken. It takes about 3 hours for the making of ONE salted chicken. And I had a total of THREE salted chicken, one per week. The salted chicken is absolutely YUMMILICIOUS! But, because it was very heaty, I never fail to get sore throat after eating it. Still, I swallowed every bit of the chicken.

The Making of Salted Chicken


1. Chx MUST be Dried --------------- 2. Prepare the Charcoal


3. Add in the Salt ------------------- 4. Mix the Salt well


5. Prepare Wrapping Paper ---------------- 6. Prepare the Herbs


7. Stuff herbs into the Chx --------------- 8. Wrap Chx Professionally


9. Nicely Wrapped Up Chx ---------------- 10. Put the Chx into the Wok


11. Cover the Chx With Salt ---------------- 12. Let the Chx Simmer

After 3 long hours...


The Homemade Yummy Salted Chicken is Ready to be Served

No comments: