Saturday, August 9, 2008

Mummy's THIRD Trimester

Entering the exciting 3rd trimester where the baby would be out soon. It was the final lap to go. I could feel the baby move and kick and punch and STEPPING on my bladder! Sometimes, I had to stop walking because it was simply too ticklish - Her pressing on my bladder... Many times, I had to time my toilet intervals to avoid any false alarms. Also, I was waking up more often in the middle of the night to empty my bladder. But I feel it was the most exciting period because of all the baby movement and anticipation.

6th June 08: We went to see the gynae for a routine scan. Imagine my surprise when the gynae said that the baby was BREECHED!!!! She had decided to turn UPWARDS! But the gynae said there was still hope of her turning back down since I was only 30 weeks pregnant. Phew! Also, I got "promoted" again for my good diet control and was only required to do my Prick Test ONCE a month. Hooray!

Throughout the whole month, I kept "psycho-ing" the baby. I told her that if she don't turn downwards, the gynae will have to cut me open and pull her out by the legs and beat her backside for being naughty. (Of cos, I omitted the part where her backside would be beaten either way.) Also, I told her to be a good girl and come out on National Day so the whole Singapore can celebrate birthday with her. Alternatively, 8th August was also a good date for it was 08-08-08, and she will get to celebrate her birthday with her friends after school when she grows up. (What a considerate Mummy I was becoming... LOL)

4th July 08: This was the decisive scan. If the baby had turned down, I would be able to deliver her naturally. If she was still Breech, then it would have to be C-section. Scan results showed that the naughty naughty baby was still in Breech position. So, gynae scheduled for a C-section. I requested for 8th August, but gynae said by then I would be in the 39th week and could go into labour any time and would probably end up having an Emergency C-section. So for Elective C-section, it is usually done on the 38th week of pregnancy. And so, the surgery date was booked on 29th July @ 8:30am @ SGH. But of course, should the baby turn downwards any time before that, I could still opt for a natural delivery. (Must be kiasu and book operation date in advance). However, gynae did say that the chances of the baby turning downwards were slim.

18th July 08: 36 weeks pregnant. I was due for another scan. Prior to this appt, me and Alvin were sort of in a dilemma. What if the baby decides to turn down? Should we continue with the C-section or to revert to natural delivery? After all, C-section was very convenient and we don't have to anticipate her arrival, but it would take a longer time for me to recover. Not to mention the overall cost would almost doubled. But should we opt for natural, there was no guarantee that there won't be complications or that the baby would be able to come out naturally and it would be even worse if I had to go into Emergency C-section. So, after much discussion, we decided that regardless of the outcome of the scan, we would proceed with C-section. Anyway, the scan later showed that baby's head was still up there. So, it was a confirmed C-section and I served the baby an "Eviction Letter". (Woohoo! I'm In-Charge!)

With my gestational diabetes, I had to almost completely stop eating desserts and pastries and chocolates and any high sugar stuffs. Some times, I "steal" a snack or two...
There was once, I was in a restaurant, sort of having a dessert buffet. I took plates of mini brownies, mini cups of chocolate mousse, mini tartlets, mini strawberry cakes, etc etc. I was about to indulge in them, when I felt a sudden urge to pee. So I decided to empty my bladder first before indulging in those yummy pastries. Next thing I knew, I opened my eyes. DAMMIT! It was a dream and the BABY refused to let me eat pastries even in my DREAM!!!! Worst of all, when I went to the toilet, there was nothing to pee!!!!!! KNS!!!!!

22nd July 08: I was instructed by a nurse in SGH to head down to SGH to obtain more information before my admission the following week. There, we underwent "financial counseling" and were given information on how much to expect for the bill size and the amount of deposit to put and the Medisave forms to fill for both Mummy's and baby's hospital bills. I also had to get my blood drawn (3 vials!) for some pre-admission test. (So NO fun at all!)

The whole week before the admission, I was catching up on all the food that I would not be able to eat after the surgery (like seafood, steak, etc), catching up on the movies that I would not be able to watch and doing last minute shopping. Funny thing was, it didn't even feel like I was going to give birth and neither did my tummy still looked like baby was coming out in 1 week's time. Plus, people commented that I was still very agile for someone who was already 9 months pregnant. =)

28th July 08: I was admitted into SGH Labour ward with all my barang barang. Alvin was there with me and we were both excited about tomorrow. It was D-DAY! Another last scan showed that the baby was still in Breech position. I didn't have to anticipate her arrival, worry about the waterbag bursting (especially at an inconvenient time) nor undergo labour pains (PHEW!).

Suddenly, Pregnancy was OVER just like that...
NO CRAVINGS AT ALL! DAMMIT!

No comments: