Friday, August 8, 2008

Mummy's SECOND Trimester

Before long, 1st trimester was over and I was entering 2nd trimester. Hooray, cos it was the start of Chinese New Year, which meant that I could now enjoy all the New Year Goodies. But I could only nibble bits and pieces here, and was NOT able to INDULGE fully in all the goodies. Worst of all, I could not eat Pineapple tarts, as the effect on my gastric was almost immediate after 2 pieces. Also, the "pantan" that pregnant women should not take pineapples, so I almost completely swore off them. (But I did take 1 piece once in a BLUE moon). Then Ba-Kwa - that was the MOST painful thing as it was my FAVOURITE CNY snack! But every time I took 1 slice, I ran to the toilet to "return" it back, or it was the cringing of my gastric after eating. As a result, I could only see and smell but not eat.

However, during the 4th & 5th month, I was still suffering from occasional morning sickness. Some days it just hits me but the effects were not as bad as the 3rd month.

But I kept telling myself, it's ok, cos the cravings will kick in soon.
(Many pple told me that sometimes the cravings NEVER kicked in... Bummer!)

29th Feb 08: Ultra-sound scan showed that the baby was fine. The gynae instructed me to go for a 5th month Antenatal Blood Test and a Glucose Tolerance Test - Own Time Own Target.

Antenatal Blood Test - To check the blood and to check if the mummy has any viral infections.

Glucose Tolerance Test - A 3 hour "Procedure" where the mummy has to fast overnight, then drink 2 doses of glucose syrup, each 1 hour apart, get her blood drawn and collect the urine 3 times.

17th Mar 08: Hungrily trotted down to Mount E. to do the Antenatal Blood Test and Glucose Tolerance Test (Fasted overnight, with a habit of taking supper!). Firstly, they drew my blood (DAMN BLOODY A LOT and PAINFUL!!!!) and collected my urine. Then they sent me off with a bottle of ~500ml fizzy orange-flavoured glucose syrup (which I had to finish in 5 minutes!). After struggling to finish the "drink", I had to wait 1 hour (for the body to "process" the sugar) and then get my blood drawn and urine collected again. While waiting, I headed down to toilet to rinse off the horrible taste in the mouth. Unfortunately, some syrup came out as well. So I went back and told the nurse that I threw up a little... To my HORROR, they said that this test will have to be void and I have to return on ANOTHER day to repeat the TEST!!! OMG!!! All that PAIN for NOTHING!!!

24th Mar 08: Went back to Mount E. to REPEAT the Glucose Tolerance Test. Told myself this time that I had to keep EVERYthing in no matter how uncomfortable it made me feel. Same thing, got my blood drawn and urine collected before the 1st "dose". Struggled to finish the yucky syrup and then sat there wasted to wait for the next hour. Kept burping out the fizz and the gastric was starting to get worked up, but I had to keep everything in... End of 1st hour, got my blood drawn and urine collected Again. Struggled even more to finish the 2nd dose of syrup in 5 minutes. Still burping and gastric was getting super unhappy. But still keeping everything in. Finally, the moment has arrived! The last blood drawn and urine collected! I WAS FREE!!!!!

31st Mar 08: Headed down to the gynae urgently as I was diagnosed with GESTATIONAL DIABETES! (DAMMIT!) Gynae told me that I had to be on a Controlled Diet and had to monitor my Blood Sugar on a weekly basis, by doing "Prick Tests" in a day. I was rented a Glucose Meter and given some glucose test strips and sterilised needles. Basically, I had to prick my finger with a needle, squeeze out some blood onto the glucose test strip which is attached to the Glucose Meter, and record the readings. The prick test had to be done 30 minutes before every meal, followed by 2 hours after every meal. That makes a total of SIX fingers to be pricked in ONE day! (Fortunately, my Gynae was not so stringent. Another Doctor told me he made his patients monitor the blood sugar EVERYDAY! NO FUN!)

2nd Apr 08: We went to do the 5th month Screening @ SGH to check the growth of the baby. Also, it was the scan that could determine the sex of the baby. (The night before, we told the baby to keep the hands and legs wide open during the scan so that the nurse can see clearly the sex and that we can buy nice clothes and toys for the baby. Alvin also told the baby that we were going to bring the baby out to "gai-gai" the next day.) When the nurse did the scan, both me and Alvin started to laugh. True enough, the hands and legs were wide open and the nurse said that the baby was DEFINITELY a girl. And throughout the whole scan, the baby kept moving around, and the poor nurse had such a hard time trying to measure her. (Alvin and his bring her out for "gai-gai"! Probably made her super active!)

2nd Apr 08: Still the same day, and I did my 1st Prick Test. All readings were within range. Gynae said my diet control was very good and "promoted" me to check only every fortnight. Yippie!

9th May 08: (Week 26) We went for another scan at the Gynae. Baby was doing fine and was in cephalic position (meaning head down, legs up). I was happy that I would be able to deliver her naturally. (All my sisters had to undergo C-section to deliver their babies.)

2nd Trimester Ended with a Breeze...
Still NO Cravings!!!

No comments: